A video intercom system is one of the best security solutions you can have for your home today. With the ever-increasing crime rate, a video intercom system gives you peace of mind and makes sure that everyone is safe at home.
There are several solutions available in the market with a wide range of features. In this blog post, we will explore video intercom systems, how they work, the benefits of video intercom and how to choose the right intercom system for your home.
What Is a Video Intercom System?
Usually, the first thing that comes to mind when an intercom is mentioned is an audio-only system but a video intercom system is essentially a camera-integrated intercom system. While many such systems have existed for a long time, the popularity of these systems for home use has only taken off over the last few years.
These systems not only allow the residents to see who is calling at the door but they can also communicate through the intercom. Modern video intercom systems pack in a variety of features including facial recognition technologies, remote unlocking, integration with existing building management systems and various other features.
How Does Video Intercom Work?
It works similar to an audio-only intercom system with the only difference being the presence of a camera that allows you to see the visitor. Once a visitor is at the door and presses the button to call a resident inside, the system sends an alert to a connected display or even a smartphone screen.
If the resident wishes to talk to the visitor, they can do that with the help of the intercom. In case they do not wish to talk but simply open the door or gate, they can also do it right from the screen. Not all video intercom systems allow remote unlocking of the door but there are some systems with such features.
Some video intercom systems also have the feature to keep a record of all the visitors who pressed the button. This helps in keeping track of potential security breaches.
Video intercoms offer a lot more security and convenience to residents as they can see who is at the door. Sometimes, audio alone is insufficient to recognise the visitor outside the door.
Most modern video intercom systems also allow occupants to manage the system remotely. For instance, IP-connected systems allow you to unlock the door of your home for delivery persons or others even when you are not at home.
Benefits of Using Video Intercom
Your home is your most cherished possession and you want to protect it to the best of your ability and a video intercom system gives you the ability to do just that. Here are a few reasons why you should invest in a video intercom system for your home today:
- Remote access management — Modern video intercom systems allow you to manage access to your property remotely. With the help of the video system, you will not only be able to see who is at the door but you can also grant or deny them entry to your home.
- Improved security — Needless to say, one of the biggest benefits of a video intercom system is improved security. It allows you to see who is outside the door and whether you want to grant them access or not. Audio-only intercom systems don’t offer this much security as it isn’t always clear who is at the door just from the audio.
- Surveillance footage — The use of a video intercom system also allows you to keep a record of visitors for audit purposes. There are systems that allow you to store only images of the visitors and not the whole video in order to save storage space.
- Better communication — Modern intercom systems also allow you to have boxes spread throughout the home which means you can always use the system to talk to people in other rooms if you have a big home.
- Enhance property value – Having a video intercom system also adds value to your property in case you wish to sell it at a later date.
- Peace of mind — Perhaps the biggest benefit of a video intercom system is that it gives peace of mind to everyone living in the house.
Tips on Choosing the Most Suitable Intercom System for Your Home
There are different types of video intercom systems available in the market at different price points. The sheer number of available choices makes it overwhelming for homeowners to choose the right one for their particular needs. Here are a few quick tips to help you choose the most suitable intercom system for your home:
- Wired or wireless — Today, you can easily find wired intercom systems as well as wireless systems. Both systems have a variety of features. The main difference between wired and wireless systems are ease of installation and better security.
- Wired intercom systems are believed to be more secure and reliable as there is no susceptibility to radio interference and they are not limited by the wireless network range. On the other hand, wireless systems are easy to install and are ready to use out of the box. Wireless systems also tend to be much more cost-effective.
- Remote access – Whichever system you plan to choose, make sure it allows remote access from your smartphone or desktop. This will allow you to manage the entry of guests even when you’re not present at home. You can have unscheduled deliveries without the risk of missing out on important deliveries at home.
- The number of supported stations — More often than not, you should have a number of doors covered. This is why you need to make sure that your system can support multiple stations.
- Get help from a professional company — Since there are so many systems available in the market, it is always better to engage the services of a reputed company with plenty of experience. These professionals can help you make an informed decision based on facts.
Overall, a video intercom system has become a necessity to keep your home secure. It gives you peace of mind and allows you to remotely manage access to your house. It also helps in keeping a record of visitors which will come in handy in case there is some untoward incident at your property.
As far as choosing the ideal video intercom system for your home is concerned, it is better to engage the services of a professional company with plenty of experience in the field to help you wade through the sales talk and make an informed decision based on facts.
Enhance Your Life with Advanced Living Solutions
Advanced Living Solutions offer a wide range of electronic lifestyle products to enhance your quality of life. We offer a wide range of security solutions including CCTV systems, access control systems, alarms as well as video intercom systems.
Please call us today on (03) 9212 7999 or leave an enquiry to learn more!